I challenged a group of my friends recently. I asked them to write down the kitchen products that they felt they could never live without. Hands down the winner was WHITE VINEGAR with BAKING SODA coming in as a close second.
Most of them also included the ways that they used these products and I’ve listed my favorites here:
WHITE VINEGAR: (besides the one that everyone knows, using it as an excellent glass cleaner…)
* Cover rusted tools with white vinegar and soak for 24 hours. The next day scrape clean with brillo. (I tried this and it is amazingly effective.)
* Use ½ teaspoon of white vinegar in place of 1 teaspoon of lemon juice in savory recipes.
* Degrease oily hair. Shampoo hair as usual, rinse, then pour ¼ cup over it and rinse again.
* Clean a coffeemaker by filling the reservoir with a mixture of white vinegar and water and run it through a brewing cycle. Follow with several cycles of water to rinse thoroughly.
* To kill weeds between cracks in paving stones and sidewalks…fill a spray bottle with straight vinegar and spray multiple times on them.
* Deodorize your refrigerator. Use equal parts white vinegar and water and, after taking everything out of the fridge, wash down the interior.
BAKING SODA :
* Erase crayon, pencil, and ink from painted surfaces by sprinkling baking soda on a damp sponge, rub clean and rinse.
* Unclog a drain. Pour 1/2 to 1 cup of baking soda down the drain, then slowly pour 1/2 to 1 cup of white vinegar after it. Let sit for five minutes (covered, if possible). Follow with a gallon of boiling water.
* Settle a stomach during occasional indigestion. Stir 1/2 teaspoon baking soda into 1/2 cup of water and drink for a safe and effective antacid.
* Brush teeth using a paste of baking soda and water.
These are just a few ways to use WHITE VINEGAR and BAKING SODA. Do you know of any others? Please share them with us.